Wednesday, August 4, 2010

San Diego Recap.

As always, we had an amazing trip to San Diego.  (The only bad part of the trip was watching the movie The Time Traveler's Wife on the plane ride out there.  What a disappointment.)

Any who, we wasted no time and stopped by In-N-Out first thing.  If you've read the blog before, you know I have a slight obsession.  Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I think their burgers and fries taste even better when you eat them outside under the California sun.  We continued enjoying the beautiful sunny weather by indulging in some beer at a pub a little later. 


Later that evening we headed to Blue Boheme for some tasty dinner.  I love this picture of the boys.


The picture of the girls wasn't so good, courtesy of me.  I kept laughing, and when I get the giggles, I have a hard time stopping.  Of course, Lauren and Neenah look great in every picture -- I'm either cracking up or trying too hard not to laugh.
 

The next day, we headed to Ocean Beach.  We went to a smoothie place to enjoy an acai bowl (acai smoothie, granola, banana slices, strawberries, blueberries, and honey) for breakfast.  Basically, it's deliciousness in a bowl.  Thanks for the recommendation Emilia!


Justin and his brother Jason were good sports and walked around a few Ocean Beach antique shops with Neenah and me.  I found some great things.  Stayed tuned -- they deserve their own separate post.  Thankfully, there was also a Trader Joe's nearby -- so we made stop 1 of 2 that afternoon.  Man, I love that place. 

We then headed to La Jolla.  We weren't there long -- just enough time to enjoy the scenery and snap a few pictures.  Too bad it was cloudy (and, as luck would have it, cleared up immediately after we left).



Who knew there were squirrels there?  They seemed totally out of place, but they were cute nonetheless!


That night we went to see Joel McHale at Humphrey's by the Bay.  (Like In-N-Out and Trader Joe's, I love me some Joel McHale.  Don't worry, Justin's okay with it.)

(photo: here)

Before the show, we went to the Pearl, a hotel with a great little bar, for happy hour.



The vibe there was awesome (as was the food and drinks).  We sat on the floor (with sweet shag carpet).  Here we all are (except for Neenah, who's hidden).




Then we headed to the show, where Lauren was asked if we wanted our seats to be upgraded (for free).  Of course!  So we were moved where the white arrow is:


Yes, that is the very front row!  How awesome is that?  During the show, Joel even commented on us receiving drinks (something sarcastic like "Oh good, your drinks are here.  Is that white wine with ice?").  So basically, we're best friends now.

The next day we went back to In-N-Out for round two.  We sat outside again, but this time I splurged for the double-double.  Seriously, how are these things so good?   


When deciding what we were going to do, my only requirement for the day was to be outside so we walked around Balboa Park.  The weather was gorgeous and Balboa Park was so pretty and the buildings there were just amazing.


 








After the day at the park, Lauren and I made her grandpa's homemade vanilla ice cream.  I was in high school the first time I tried his recipe, and every summer I think about how delicious it is. 


I wish we could have stayed for a week (or a month) longer, but sadly, we had to come back to the humidity and 100 degree temps in Texas.  We can't wait for our next trip out there!    

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a fabulous trip! I love Trader Joe's too. We shop at one when we go to DC to visit my SIL but we also have one in Nashville now (an hours drive from me). Also, I love the green dress you have on in one of your pix. Where'dya get it?

    Your welcome to email me @ sweettpaperdesigns@gmail.com!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't know Nashville had a TJ's. I will be there in October!

    The green dress is from Anthropologie. It's called the secret treasure dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I had one of those bowls in San Diego! They were so so yummy! Love these pics!

    Luvs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    It's on Hillsboro Pike! Will you be flying in? If you are driving, you could just fill up your car trunk w/ treats! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah - I need to find a place near me here that sells those bowls!

    Tammy - I am flying in, but I will leave some extra room in my suitcase!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!