Sunday, January 25, 2009

Banana Crumb Muffins.

I recently made the tastiest banana muffins of all time and had to share the recipe. I came across it one day as I was perusing www.allrecipes.com (that site is addicting!).

Banana Crumb Muffins:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
For the topping:
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
I added about a teaspoon or so of vanilla extract to the batter. Also, maybe I am stingy with the batter, but this recipe made 11 large muffins. The topping part is super delicious -- so pile it on!

The recipe is super easy, and since I only eat bananas when they are still slightly green, this is a perfect way to use up the bananas that get too ripe for me before I can eat them. Next time I am going to try to make these with half wheat flour and half all-purpose flour for a slightly "healthier" muffin. Don't worry though, I don't plan to cut back on the sugar or butter.

I am normally disappointed in how quickly the bananas ripen, but now my current batch can't get freckly fast enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!