Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sandra Lee & Camping.

I happened to catch an episode of Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee. I haven't seen this show in forever, mainly because it is just too ridiculous to watch. I like the concept of using certain store-bought items to assist in making homemade dishes, but Sandra is over the top. Between her "cocktail time," coordinating kitchen and outfits, and her crazy tablescapes, I couldn't watch anymore.


Today's episode was on the background while I was working. It was Sandra cooking while camping (recipes available here). My interest was piqued because Justin has been wanting us to go camping for a while, so I thought I might be able to get some good ideas. Boy was I in for a real treat.

Needless to say, I won't be making any of her recipes featured on today's show. I wasn't paying close attention to most of them, but I did tune in for her dessert, which for some reason is not listed on Food Network's website. I had enough when she busted out caramel sauce, vanilla extract, and cinnamon (or according to her, you could use pumpkin spice). Are you serious?! I am not camping pro, but I am pretty darn sure vanilla extract and cinnamon (or pumpkin spice) would not be even close to being on my list of items to bring. Not to mention the 20 rolls of foil she went through for all of her dishes.

And not deterred by being outdoors, Sandra still whipped up one of her tablescapes. Despite her saying it was "simple," it most certainly was not. She lost me when she used bark from off a tree as a vase for her hydrangeas. Oh right, hydrangeas were also on the top of my items-to-bring-camping list. I am not even going to discuss "cocktail time" where she made something called "risky whiskey." I wish I was joking.

Once we go camping, I will report back on how it went, but I am positive it will not involve a tablescape, multiple rolls of foil, vanilla extract, or cinnamon.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I just ran across your blog today and had to comment. Yes, Sandra Lee's shows are almost unbearable to watch!

    And, I am following your blog from this day forward!

    : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!