Sunday, March 1, 2009

5 things . . .

A bunch of odd things happened this past week, so in honor of my out of the ordinary week (which has kept me from blogging), here are the top 5 crazy things that happened this past week . . .

1. I knew the week was off to a bad start when I had to yell at some idiot in my parking garage Monday morning that was too busy and important to wait his turn in line. He cut me off, almost hitting my car in the process, and left me out in the middle of the intersection while we waited to get into the garage. Don't worry, before I started telling him how I felt about him being inconsiderate and putting my safety at risk, I made sure there were enough other people around in case he decided to do something crazy. The best part -- the lady behind me shouts "Tell him to go to hell!" Love it.

2. That same day, I had to get a MRI of my sacroiliac joint. Me being the medical genius that I am, thought a MRI and CT scan were the same thing. Imagine my surprise when the lady told me to lay still and she would be back in 30 minutes. I was thinking it would take about 5 minutes, like my previous CT scans. But the kicker is they were nice enough to give me headphones with music. Things started off normally until about half way through I start hearing (no joke), "You are special. I may not know your name, but Jesus does. He died for you and you can come to know Him right now." I was more surprised than offended. But seriously that could really offend someone. You are essentially forced to listen to it because you can't take the headphones off. It was very strange and unexpected.


3. On Tuesday, I had to go to municipal court for a traffic ticket (speeding). For the record, it was my first ticket ever. An attorney here in town that everyone uses represents other attorneys for free, so I thought what the heck, I've got nothing to lose so I challenged the ticket. It provided for great people-watching. By 8:05 a.m., I had already seen an old crazy professor-type lawyer get hand cuffed and removed from the courtroom for interrupting and yelling at the judge. After the judge's repeated requests for him to be quiet, she had him thrown out. On his way out (in hand cuffs), he yells back that he will call us all as witnesses to unlawful arrest. It was simply amazing.

4. Because I was at municipal court for several hours, the guy in #3 wasn't the only spectacle. There was also a lady, who evidently the judge had been nice to for several different court appearances. The lady, however, came in again with a terrible attitude (and flip-flops, a hooded sweatshirt, and jeans) and the judge had enough. She called the lady, who also happened to bring her 3-year old son with her, back up to the bench. Going Judge Judy on her, the judge informed her that this was her courtroom and she was sick and tired of the lady's terrible attitude despite trying to remain pleasant with her. The judge informed the lady that if her attitude did not immediately improve, she would hold her in contempt of court for 3 days. The judge also pointed out that she didn't care that the lady's son was with her -- that it would not deter her from still putting the lady in jail. The lady's demeanor quickly changed. Nothing a little threat of contempt couldn't fix.


5. And last but not least, the economy is bad and things are scary out there. I know that won't make the evening news, but everyday I hear about another law firm laying off associates and staff. February was a brutal month, and it looks like there is no end in sight. Associates are now detecting if anything suspicious is going down by looking at conference room reservations (see stories here). Thankfully everyone I know has been spared. I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!