Monday, January 28, 2013

A Not-So-Happy Birthday.

I had big plans to get a bunch of stuff organized around the house this weekend and pick out some remaining paint colors.  But all of those plans were derailed by our dog Riley . . . 

Justin and I were up a lot of Friday night with Riley, who was shaking, throwing up, and drinking and peeing like crazy.  I called the clinic where we normally take him right when they opened on Saturday, and they squeezed him in.  Saturday was Riley's 8th birthday.  Sadsies.  Not too long after we dropped him off, I received a phone call from the vet telling me that based on his blood work, something was wrong with his liver.  She called the big emergency pet hospital here and told them to expect us shortly.

We immediately headed over there.  (Side note: I've known about this pet ER place for forever.  It's well known in the area for being the very best for sick animals.  Every time I pass it, I always get a little sad for the animals and families inside because, if you're going there, you have a very sick pet.  I dreaded having to pull into their driveway.)  Later in the afternoon, after more testing and an ultrasound, the vet there didn't find any masses and confirmed Riley's liver enzymes were extremely elevated from either some toxin or infection.  Everyone thinks it's more likely an infection since we don't know of him getting into anything toxic to dogs (e.g., sego palm, ibuprofen, sugar-free gum).  To put into perspective how sick he was, one of the common liver enzyme levels that is tested is based on a scale from 10-100.  Riley's was 1800!  No -- that's not a typo with an extra 0.  His was 1800.

They kept him Saturday night to give him IV antibiotics and to monitor him constantly.  It was so hard to leave him there, but we knew he was in very good hands.  They even made him a happy birthday sign for his kennel before we left.  How sweet is that?  The people at the clinic are wonderful with dealing with crazy (and emotional) pet parents, like myself.   

Thankfully, we were able to go visit him Sunday morning.  Things are improving!  He's able to eat now and his levels are headed in the right direction.  It warmed my heart to see him walk into the room and get excited to see us!  I missed my little guy!  He looked so much better Sunday than he did when we dropped him off . . . well, except for his new haircut.  His poor belly is shaved and he looks very goofy with a portion of his legs shaved.  But we don't care -- he's still as cute as ever.      




It was hard to leave him again, but the vet thinks he will be able to come home today!  Hooray!  I am keeping my fingers crossed that his levels continue to go down.  Not only do we miss our little snuggler, but his sister does too.  Zoey has been moping around ever since we came back to the house without him on Saturday.  Look at her sad face.  


So please keep Riley in your thoughts and puppy prayers.  We hope he comes home today (and that his levels are normal when they retest him next week).   Once he's home and back to himself, we are going to throw him one heck of a birthday party and spoil him rotten (even more rotten than normal, if that's even possible).

I hope your weekend was less eventful than ours!  Happy Monday! 

        

11 comments:

  1. Riley looks so cute in those photos - like he's smiling! I'm glad everything is better now! My cat's name is also Riley (a girl though) and I dread the day that her health starts to decline... she's 7, but I'm hoping I still have many years of good health with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad for sweet riley...and Zoe!!! Every time you post pics of your adorable dogs, I get serious dog fever!!!! I'd love to adopt one just like yours!!! Hope he's better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish Riley a speedy recovery! He's so cute and reminds me so much of my Airedale, Baxter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That breaks my heart! Nothing is worse than seeing one of your babies sick or in pain...rotten weekend to be sure...but thank goodness everything is going in the right direction, crossing fingers that he gets to come home soon!!! I bet Zoey will be thrilled, too (c:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little guy! He is so fluffy and cuddly looking! Hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, sweet thing! Hope he comes home today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor little guy! I thought I read the number wrong, crazy! Thanks for the lesson on toxins, I only knew 1out of3!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well wishes and a hug for Riley and for you two. He's a precious little guy and I know how difficult it can be when a family member isn't doing well. I'm so glad to hear he's improving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the most precious dogs! Puppy prayers going up for your pup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor little pup (and you two). Not fun. Glad to see things are back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!