Monday, August 22, 2011

Home Tour: Office.

In the last home tour post, I showed you the office bathroom. Well, now (finally) here is the office itself!  Our office is definitely a multi-purpose room. We use if for an office (of course) and also as a guest room and home gym. Riley and Zoey stay in this room during the day too.

The room is pretty big -- 20' by 18'. We've really struggled to use the space in the best way. Frankly, it's almost too big. When we first moved in, this room was our main guest room and the office was on the third floor.  We switched them a while back and like this set up much better. This room is still a work in progress (but what room isn't, really?).

To give you the lay of the land first . . . as you walk in, this is what you see over towards the right back corner.


This is the view over on the left side of the room. We definitely want to add another rug and either a comfy chair or a smaller couch for lounging. When we first looked at this house, the first thing I noticed was the terrible light fixture/ceiling fan. Since we bought the house, I've talked about changing it, but as you can see, it hasn't happened yet!


All of my favorite offices have the expedit shelves from Ikea, so I thought why not include them in ours. They really are a great storage solution! I'm still tweaking the styling, but it works for now.


From this picture over on the "daybed side" of the room, you can see where the door from the entryway is. We definitely need to add something above the daybed and over to the left of the TV.  And don't worry -- the exercise bike is on wheels, so we can wheel it out in front of the TV when we use it. We don't torture ourselves by facing the corner while we work out!


And the doorway to the left of the clock is the bathroom and the door in front of the bike is a mini-closet that is under our staircase (just so you get an idea of the whole layout).  


If you keep going around, you see the other corner of the office where the mail center is above the Ikea cabinet I jazzed up.


We each have a bin to keep magazines, ads, etc.  There are also places for receipts, bills, and coupons up on the wall.  It always seems like when I'm running out the door to shop, I know I have reward points or a coupon somewhere and it takes me a good 10 minutes to find where I put it.  Now I know to check here first (assuming the system works correctly).  And it's nice to have the recycle bin handy for all those ads we get! 


Here's where we work when we're at home, which we both have seemed to be doing a lot of recently. 


I like the desk set up where we are facing each other.  We used to have the desks side by side, facing the wall, but this set up seems to work a little better for us.  Riley and Zoey usually lay down by our feet under the desk.  We can peek around our monitors when we are deep in conversation!  And no matter how hard we try, the wires and cords on the desk always look so messy! 


You can also check out a close up of the chevron boards in action.  The color ties in nicely with the cabinet by the "mail center." 


For those of you with an excellent memory (since it was forever ago), you will remember that I was debating what fabric to use for the drapes and roman blinds.  It was a close call, but I ended up going with the theo fabric.  I am happy I went with that choice.   


Tonic Living made the drapes and the blinds.  They were so easy to work with and did an excellent job.  I would definitely recommend them.


I found the dresser on Craigslist.  It isn't staying the yellow color forever, but oddly enough it doesn't seem too out of place.  I hope one day soon to paint it a muted teal color.


And were back around to where we started.  Phew -- that was quite the tour. 


And because it's technically the dogs' room, since they stay here during the day, here they are in the room looking as cute as ever. Excuse the tripod in the back. 


A lot of napping (by people and dogs alike) happens on the daybed.


Thanks for joining me for the grand tour!  That wraps up the first floor.  Now on to the second floor . . .  

{And don't forget to enter the Uprinting canvas giveaway -- it ends today (Monday)!}

31 comments:

  1. love the dueling desks. the nailheads in your bulletin boards are divine. the yellow is popping, but my favorite accessory to your most fabulous office must be the puppy. such a dog lover. thanks for capturing that beauty.
    great job on all of it. have a super monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, it looks fantastic! I love that it serves many purposes!! You have added such beautiful touches to the room. And, of course you know I love the puppies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely! Especially love the rug (would love your source on that one) and the detail on the small cabinet. Totally working with your wall color too, I might add! M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! I'm pretty sure I have that same grey rug in my dining room :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and wow, that is seriously a very large room. How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so good and you have so much space, jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely would take too much space over too little any day! I think you have done a fantastic job of trying to use up all that *SPACE*! The office corner is my favorite...especially your curtains, I love that splash of color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, it looks awesome! i love everything about it emily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it really is a nice, large room. Emily, it looks wonderful. I love all of your touches. I really like the dark chair with the yellow flower pillow on it. And the drapes are perfect. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great, what a huge room-you can really use it for so many things. I just used the Expedit bookshelf in the girls' room and it is working out great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a spacious room! Its looking lovely--the curtains came out great, and I like the facing desks. I think the Expedit is the world's most useful piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This room is fantastic, it's so open and clean looking. The colors are so relaxing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks awesome!! and that room is seriously huge.

    Sam @ fitness food & faith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so great Emily! Such a big room- love what you've done to it and that Craigslist dresser is awesome! Your pups are too cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you weren't lying about the size of the room. That's definitely challenging, but you guys have done a great job with it. I love the desks facing each other, I think it makes it nicer to be working at home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great room! how luxurious to have so much space to work with. And every great office needs some cuddly puppies :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your office is amazing! Such fabulous touches. I would love the source for your organizing boxes and files.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When you said, "work in progress", I was expecting it to be a mess, but I think it looks great! You are lucky to have such a large space. I really like how you've arranged your desks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow- beautiful space! I love the color choices in the space! You did a great job styling the ikea shelves. It looks organized and chic. Beautiful space! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all your sweet comments!

    Interior Design Musings -- the rug is from Garden Ridge!

    Kathy -- the boxes and magazine files are all from Ikea. You have to assemble them, but for the price, you can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ok soooo jealous of all that space!! and LOVE the rug- have I asked you this before? is that the one from Garden Ridge?!? Its beautiful!
    What a lovely space!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AMAZING job!! With such a large space, I can see the challenge, but you definitely made this into a dynamic space! Love all the patterns...the rug and board are great! Also love the desk chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow you can have a dancefloor in there! J/K....

    love love the space (and we have the same rug!) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't go wrong with the color scheme you chose! My favorite part though is the UT diploma. I graduated from Texas too! Hook 'Em Horns!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so lucky to have such a big bright space! I love your facing desks. Love the chevron boards. Love the tonic living drapes and blinds. Great room!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're right - that room is HUGE. But I love the face to face set up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! Such lovely touches, and your mail center is inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would LOVE to know where you got your throw pillow at! It's gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can I ask what color and brand of paint that you used in your office and bedroom? You have such great style! I love your home!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there! I am new to your blog. I can't believe that your office space is that big. It's probably bigger than my entire condo! I came to your blog because of the Chevron print board tutorial and I must say the colour of the board is much nicer with the grand scheme of the room.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!