I used the template from here and traced it onto the wall with a pencil. Along the way, I used a level to keep things from going cattywompus. Once I had drawn the pattern over the entire wall, I went over my lines with the paint. Following Centsational Girl's lead, I picked up some acrylic craft paint at Hobby Lobby in metallic taupe and champagne. I used about a 50/50 ratio of the two for the wall. It required 2 coats to get an opaque finish.
I like how the paint varies based on the lighting/time of day. It's hard to fully capture on camera, but you can tell how the color looks darker or lighter depending on the lighting in these pictures. (As a side note: the frame and the print are from Ikea.)
In case you're curious what's in the apothecary jars, one of them has epsom salt and the other has bars of Ivory soap.
As I referenced before, this project took a lot longer than I expected. In full disclosure, it really was time consuming for me. It's not hard to do, it's just tedious. It took me one evening to trace the pattern on the wall. And I'm just estimating here since I did it over a long period of time, but it probably took me close to 3 full days of painting to complete the wall. I think you can do it in less time if you: (a) aren't a perfectionist; and (b) find a paint that looks good with only 1 coat (or are ok with a more translucent look).
A few tips if you decide to tackle this project:
-- Have a massage scheduled. My shoulders and neck were sore from reaching/looking up and from dodging the chandelier, which I knocked my head on more times than I care to admit.
-- Some wine (or other alcoholic beverage of your choice) is certainly needed.
-- I am
-- Test different brushes to see what works best. I used one brush for my first coat to trace around the pencil and then a different brush for the second coat. Finding the right combo took a little trial and error, but saved time overall.
-- Start from the middle of the wall and work your way out. I started at the left and worked my way to the right. As you can see, I had to add little curves along the far right side to make the pattern meet the corner. Oops!
Now when I take a bath I can actually sit back, relax, and enjoy the finally-completed wall!