Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Brass Is Back (duh).

It's certainly not breaking news that brass is back, unless you've been living under a rock.  I've also fallen for its warmness (especially paired with the grays I love) and have been totally embracing it in our new house.  To be clear, I like the good, pretty kind of brass -- not the ugly builder's brass.  We spent good money getting the ugly brass removed from the house during the renovation.

Justin wasn't sure about all this brass at first.  But he's totally coming around.  I knew I would break him eventually.  He said today, when talking about door hardware, and I quote "brass it up!"  Yes!  Brass it up is right.  Glad we can finally agree.  See, I always knew I had the best husband.   

Regardless of his initial hesitancy, I've pushed forward with bringing brass into the house anway (I knew he would come around, and if he didn't, I didn't care.)  Here's a few brass snippets from around the house:  

A black frame I've Rub n Buff-ed to gold perfection.  The picture still needs to be secured (obviously), but you get the idea.   


Our new dining room chandy.  I love it.  Lots.   (Don't worry, the yellow walls aren't staying.)


The powder room light.  The light + the wallpaper = a happy potty space. 


Cabinet pulls for the living room built-ins.  I think the modern pulls help to balance the traditional millwork on the cabinets.  And who doesn't like surrounding themselves with bars of gold?


And I've recently acquired 3 pretty brass finds from the Guild Shop (a local thrift store).  The first is this pretty shell.  This brassy goodness is bigger than my hand (it's probably the size of my face) and  was a whopping $3.00. 


My new brass donkey.  I don't know why, but he spoke to me.  And I brought him home.  But he really needs a name.  My friend Lauren has suggested it's something "regal, but foreign."  Any ideas?


And last, but not least, a pair of brass cranes (which could use a little polishing).  I saw them at the Guild Shop a year ago and passed them up.  I've often regretted that decision.  Then lo and behold, last time I was there, they were back and I didn't hesitate this time!


What are you thoughts on brass?  And are you as sick of just these little bit and pieces of our rooms in iphone pics as I am?  I'm fixing that real soon.  Promise.

10 comments:

  1. I really like the brass things that you have! You've made some great finds. I have really been drawn to mixing metals recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY- you have the knack. Do you know what I find when I go to the Guild Shop? NOT A DING DANG THING. EVER. UGH.

    Brass pulls=me likey long time

    Brass donkey- Pepito Brassito

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your "classy brassy" finds. Can't wait to see the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your "classy brassy" finds. Can't wait to see the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my goodness! So many fabulous brass touches! Loving the chandy and drawer pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh, pretty chandy and brass pulls! The brass pulls are awesome, actually, I want to see more. I am of no help on foreign classy names.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love brass and have been looking for the perfect additions for my apartment. Growing up my mom had a ton of brass items and I always loved the look of it. That brass donkey is so cute.
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it all! Especially the pulls! Okay, there was a hint of your countertops......you need to do an updated kitchen post! Or did I miss it? What kind of marble is that? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh love the brass you have - especially the dining room handy and pulls in the living room!, so gorgeous. What about Alejandro for the donkey?

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Bars of gold". That's awesome :)
    I'm thinking brass would look awfully good in my living room, but would it be weird if that were the only room in the house to have brass? I have polished nickel everywhere else.

    ReplyDelete