Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall.

In honor of today being the first day of fall (yippee!), I thought I would share some of the things I am looking forward to about the season.

Cooler weather (yeah, that should go without saying). 


It has still been in the 90's in Houston, so it doesn't feel like fall yet, but there are rumblings that a cool front this weekend could keep the highs in the mid 80's!

Jackets

(photo: jcrew)

I tried this jacket on (in black) a couple of weekends ago and absolutely loved it.  However, it was a little hard to purchase a coat when it was 98 degrees outside.  But I am really digging the plum color now that I see it online.

Scarves

(photo: nordstrom)

And what makes a cute jacket even cuter?  A cute scarf peeking out!  And they make you feel nice and cozy when wrapped around you (especially at my office, which is always way too cold).  Hey, it's either that or a snuggie! 

Socks

(photo: kate spade)

I love wearing fun socks in the fall and winter.  Other than when I work out, it's the only time I ever wear socks.  But I don't wear them a boldly as the girl in the picture.  Besides me, Justin is generally the only one who knows how fun my socks are. 

Hot Chocolate

(photo: my recipes)

I'll gladly take a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows or whipped cream.  It sounds so delicious . . . if only it wasn't so darn hot outside!

Soup and Chili

This is my go to chili recipe.  It's super easy to make and so tasty.  We substitute ground turkey for the beef and serve it with some jiffy corn bread.   It's easily one of my favorite fall and winter meals.  I came across this chicken chili recipe today on Annie's Eats and will have to try it out as well.  We also love her Brazilian shrimp soup.

(photo: annie's eats)

And for the record, another favorite of mine is tortilla soup.  I just love crunching tortilla chips on top, generously sprinkling on the cheese, and topping it with chunks of avocado.  Yum! 

Oatmeal

(photo: here)

I prefer mine with banana slices and just a little bit of milk poured on top. 

Anything pumpkin (well except for Starbuck's pumpkin spiced lattes and pumpkin pie.)


I love me some pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins (seriously, try these), and pumpkin pancakes.  I also had a dish similar to this recipe with pumpkin, sage, and butter and it was amazing.  I may also have to try out these pumpkin scones.

And, I like to mix a little canned pumpkin into my oatmeal.  Riley likes a little canned pumpkin mixed into his food too!

What part of fall are you looking forward to?

3 comments:

  1. i had a delicious bowl of oatmeal from cafe brasil this morning to celebrate the start of fall. definitely looking forward to cute fall clothes, cool evening walks, and lazy weekends with hot coffee and a movie! i need to work more pumpkin into my recipes this fall...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! Fall is crisp autumn weather w all of the brightly colored leaves!

    Sweater and scarves as you mention.

    Yummy oatmeal w fruit in the morning.

    A fire in the fireplace in the evening. The scents of candles in bergomott, cinnamon, pumpkin, etc.

    I have a Giveaway from the French Basketeer I think you will love!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. JCrew has the best coats. I have an old green one from them that I absolutely love. Still a bit too warm to wear it in Texas, but I can not wait for the day that I can pull it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!