Monday, March 29, 2010

Entryway Wall Decor.

I received some great antique keys from my mom and mother-in-law.  After thinking about the perfect place to hang them, I finally decided in the entryway.  Here's how I decided on the layout and placement:
 
I took a large piece of paper (wrinkled paper is optional) and tried several different layouts -- some more haphazard than this more linear layout.  Once I settled on a layout, I traced the keys onto the paper.


Then, I had to rummage through the garbage bag the next day to find the paper with my tracings Justin had accidentally thrown away.  Once I rescued the paper from the trash, Riley decided he would assist by laying on it.


I taped the paper up on the wall and then, based on my outlines of the keys, hammered in the nails.  I used the paper as a reference and hung the keys on the wall.  (For a very detailed and thorough description of hanging a gallery wall, check out this post over at Brooklyn Limestone.) 

Then step back and admire your handiwork!  Well . . . after getting the keys hung, I decided I didn't like the way it turned out.  They needed to be framed out or something.  It just didn't look right.  So all that arranging, tracing, trash digging, and hammering for nothing!
 

Thankfully, my mom got me these awesome chair prints, which work perfectly there instead. 



If anyone has any ideas on how to display the keys, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. what about an empty frame (no glass or backing) around them... just to make them feel like they are inside something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frames would be a great idea - or several shadow boxes. (Mom)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It's great to hear from you!